So, have you ever get any email from Coca-Cola Germany offering thousands of dollars as a lottery winning amount?
I am pretty much sure that you got this email or as an SMS on your mobile because it was one of the most common tricks of phishing a few years ago and hackers also get so much profit from this scam email. I know, it was hard to believe on that email but most of the people fall for it, and if you are also one of them, then you must read this article till the end.
As we all know that technology is become more advance day by day and along with that hackers are also finding new ways to do scams. It is hard to believe in today’s world, what is real and what is fake?
In this blog post, I am going to talk about one of the most common scamming technique which every hacker use, Phishing. Yes, It sounds like fishing and is also some much like it.
So, Let’s talk about phishing:
What is Phishing?
Phishing is a hacking (or we can say scamming) technique, in which hacker approaches the victim via email, SMS or any other communication service in the form of popular organisation.
As we have heard about ‘Coca-Cola Lottery Email’ which scammed so many peoples. It is one of the real life example of phishing and how powerful it is. It is one of the most common hacking technique, and I can bet that there is no hacker out there who have not tried it.
Now, the main question is :
How hackers perform phishing?
Phishing is not so complicated like others hacking ways, and most of the hacker use phishing as their first approach. In phishing, a hacker sent a user an email by the name of some fake identity or some big organisation. Most common phishing mails sent by using the name of Facebook or Google which suggest user to change their password as their password is going to expire. When the user clicks on the given link, it takes the user to a fake website which looks exactly like company’s website and if the user inputs his information in it. Then his information will be sent to the hacker.
As now you know that full procedure of this technique, then let’s take a look on how hacker tracks you before reaching to you by scam email :
Hackers use social network site like Facebook to track you and see all the information about you i.e. where you work, where were you born and what’s your dislikes and likes? They use this information to create a perfect path to approach you. They will try to use your information in the email they wrote because their only motive is to convince you.
Now, you must be thinking that how this procedure is so much effective and why people fall into this process.
Here is the thing :
Why is it so effective?
People only believe in something which they want to hear from others. For example, If you want to lose weight and also to find a product for it. If someone came to you and gave you the worst product and said that it would go to help you loose weight, then I am pretty much sure that you will go to buy that product.
That’s why when a few years ago when people got the ‘Coca-Cola Winning Lottery Email’, they fall for it. Hackers are going only going to say to what you will like, and that’s why this technique is so useful.
Like I am telling you all, I also said everything about phishing to my friend, and He replied,” What’s the big deal? What worst can they do with our data?”. I know that some people who currently is reading this article also having same thoughts now.
What can hackers do with our data?
Hackers can do so many things with your data and as we all know on Internet our identity is everything, and they can steal it from you with your data. They can use your identity to do bad things to people or performing most dangerous tasks. They can hack your credit card details by phishing and can withdraw money from your account and many more things. But don’t worry because I am going to tell you the ways to stay safe in next para. So, just stay stuck with this blog post till the end.
How to stay safe from phishing attacks?
I know you all were thinking this question from the starting of this blog post but don’t worry more about this issue. I am going to tell you some ways to which you can stay safe from phishing attacks.
So, Here are some ways to stay safe :
1. By installing a malware detection extension on your browser or software on your pc.
This software can help you to detect fake or malware containing sites.
2. You can identify these type of emails or messages and mark them spam.
Follow below steps to recognise phishing emails :
1. The first thing you should notice in your email is From: section. You must check the sender’s email and confirm that is it right email or a fake one. You’ll go to detect the error very easily.
2. Most of the time hackers don’t know your name, and this will help you to identify phishing emails because your company or any organisation will know your name and they always referred you with your name.
3. Check the Hyperlinks by hovering mouse cursor on them. You will see a real URL address where those hyperlinks are taking you. If those addresses are not valid or not of official organisation website. Then never click on it because it can contain anything like malware. Check links very carefully because there must get sometimes same URL as original with some spelling errors like “facebo0k.com”.
4. If there are any Attachments in an email then never download it because it can be any malware which will infect your files or can recover data from your computer.
5. If you received an email from your business or some organisation. That’s why always check date because they will never go to send you an email at an unusual time like 3:00 AM.
Also read: Cydia Impactor (Full Guide).
So, these are all the steps you should follow to stay safe from phishing attacks. These attacks daily affect millions of people.
So, must share this blog post to alert your friends and family about phishing attacks and how it can change their life.
I hope you like this article as I have devoted so much of my time to collect this information and share it with you.
Appreciate my efforts by sharing this article, it will help me, and I’ll keep bringing more blog posts like this.
If you have any query related phishing or also want to share your experience related it then must comment and share valuable information with us. Feel free to comment below 🙂 .